Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Nike Women's Marathon


I've been super lazy, I guess.
I have no excuse.

Well, I thought about writing about an event on last Sunday.

Nike Women's Marathon was held in San Francisco on October 19th.

As I had written before(I think), I'm a Mentor for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's(LLS) Team In Training for this season.

And 5 of my mentees ran this half marathon.(It's called "marathon" but there are FULL and HALF)
Let me explain about this race.
This is obviously a Nike event, but also, it's directly benefitting LLS.

And what's so special about this race?

It's called ”Women's”, so yes, majority of the runners are women.
I heard, it's like 94% women, 6% men.
You get to run in San Francisco(hills, yes!) AND as a finishers' medal, runners receive a Tiffany necklace originally designed for this event.
It's not sold, and they change the design every year. It's inside of that famous blue box AND it'll be handed by fire fighters dressed in tuxedos!!!

All that makes this race sooooo popular, they have to pick runners by a lottery.
(Of course, there's registration fee after you get chosen.)
However, as I said, this event is directly benefitting LLS's TNT, TNT people don't have to go through that lottery.(because we raise money for the race)

For the race day, since I live less than 1 hour away drive from San Francisco, I decided to go and support my teammates.
I spent the night at my friend's place in the city because I didn't think I would be able to get up early enough.

The race started at 7 AM but we woke up at 7:30 AM and got ready and left the house.
We walked to mile 13 and it was just right.
After a while I started seeing people in purple shirts(TNT race day t-shirts).
It was right by the beach and if you know San Francisco, you know how it is...
It was not a sunny day which is perfect for running, but it was windy and people like us that were not running, freezed!
I cheered TNT runners and non-TNT runners with "Go TEAM!" regardless of knowing them or not, because I knew how much it means to them.
It meant a lot to have people, mostly total strangers, cheering me in San Diego when I had my first half marathon.
I didn't care if they were listening to their own music, didn't know me at all, etc.
My friend and I kept going.

Then, I saw some of the teammates from the same chapter.
It was so nice to see their smiles when they found me and heard my voice!
Then, I saw Satoko coming in!
My friend and I went crazy!
We screamed her name, took pictures and we were all jumping up & down!
It made people around us laugh!
Then, we had to run to the finish line to take some more pics.
We ran as fast as we could, but there was such a big crowd there, I couldn't take any of her pictures.  
But I took a pic of a limo filled with Tiffany boxes!
It was very hard to re-unite with her because of so many people. Good thing was she ran with her cell phone.

I couldn't see two(husband and wife) of my mentees coming through mile 13, but I found them under the TNT tent after the finish line! It was almost like a miracle to find them among so many people from all over the States and Canada.

Satoko showed me the Tiffany necklace(very cute!) and they got a really nice Nike finisher's t-shirts, too.
She did NOT forget to ask one of the fire fighters to take picture with her:)

My friend and I freezed ourselves out there, but it was totally worth it!

(日本語)
またさぼってました・・・。
先週の日曜にあったイベントについて書きますね。
Nike Women's Marathonっていうレースがサンフランシスコでありました。
以前も書いたことがあると思いますが、私、今シーズン、Leukemia & Lymphoma Society(LLS)のTeam In TrainingでMentor(Volunteer)をやっています。
それで、私が担当させてもらったメンバーのうち5人が、このレースに参加しました。

ちなみに、レースの名前はMarathonですが、フルとハーフがあります。
私の属するFall Seasonからはハーフマラソンへの参加のみでした。

このレースについて少し、説明。
Nikeのレースだってことは名前からお分かりですよね?このレース、LLSも協賛?してます。
協賛っていう日本語が正しいのかは、疑わしいところなので説明します。
簡単に言うと、このレースによって集められた基金が直接、LLSに行くっていう仕組みなんです。
この他に何がそんなに特別なのかといいますと・・・
サンフランシスコの街を走れる(そうです、あの有名な急な坂もあります!)。
でも、これはこのレース特有ではないんです。
レースを完走した参加者には、このレースの為だけにデザインされたTiffany(そうです!あのティファニー!)のネックレスが完走者メダルとして渡されます。
このネックレス、もちろん非売品ですし、毎年デザインが変わります。
そして、このネックレスは、あの有名なベイビーブルーの箱に入って、普通に渡されるわけじゃないんです。
さすがアメリカなのが、これを渡してくれるのが、タキシードに身を包んだ消防士さんたち!
ちなみに、日本ではどうだかよくわかんないですが、こっちでは消防士(Fire fighters)といえば、体は鍛え抜かれてて、消防士っていうだけで、『かっこいい!』っていう人もいるくらいのモテようなんです(笑)
つまり、このレースはWomen's Marathonっていうだけあって、女の人が喜ぶ演出が最後に待ってることで有名。ちなみに、今年が5年目とかだったと思います。
あまりの人気の為、参加者は抽選で選ばれた後に、参加費(100ドル前後)を払って、参加します。
TNTの参加者は基金集めが必須の為、(私たちのチームからこのレースに参加するには1人当たり2500ドル)抽選なしで参加可能です。
私はサンフランシスコから車で1時間以内のところに住んでいるので、応援に行くことにしました。

近いとはいえ、朝が早いので、サンフランシスコ市内に住む友人宅に前日から泊めてもらいました。

レース開始は7時、私たちが起きたのは7時半。
歩いて、13マイル地点(ハーフマラソンは13.1マイル)へ向かいました。
タイミングが良かったようで、しばらくすると、紫のシャツ(TNTのレース日のユニフォーム)の人がちらほら通り始めました。

ゴール地点がビーチのすぐそこだったこともあり、SF独特の曇り空だったこともあり、ものすっごく寒かったんです。風も吹いてたし。友達と2人で、凍えそうになりながら、応援しました。

TNTの掛け声みたいなのがあって、Go Team!って言うんです。
それを、誰でもいいからとりあえず言ってました。
というのも、私がサンディエゴで初のハーフを走った時に感じたことがあったんです。
誰からでもいいから、沿道の応援があるのとないのじゃ天と地の差があるって。
だから、知ってる人じゃなかろうと、音楽を聴きながら走ってる人だろうと、応援頑張りました。

そうこうしてると、同じグループで一緒に練習してきた人たちが通っていって。
私が大きな声で、名前を呼んだりして応援してると、私に気づいてくれて、すっごく嬉しそうな顔を見せてくれたりして、やった甲斐がありました!

そしたら、さとこが来ました!
私と友達が、「さーとーこー!!!」ってさらなる大声で名前を呼んだら気づいてくれて、3人で飛び跳ねて(ちなみにさとこは走ってます)、彼女の写真を撮って、ゴールに向かって走り出しました。
騒ぎすぎて、隣にいた人たちは笑ってました!

ゴール地点での写真を狙ったんですが、案の定、すっごい混雑で撮れませんでした。
代わりといってはなんですが、ゴールのすぐそこに停まってたリムジンの中にあふれるTiffanyの箱の写真はとりました。
あまりの混みように、彼女と私たちが合流するのにも一苦労。携帯をお互いに持ってたのが役に立ちました。
私の担当した中に夫婦で走ってる2人がいたのですが、13マイル地点では彼らを見つけられてませんでした。半ばあきらめてたところ、TNTのテント内で、奇跡的に彼らを発見!!!無事、完走してました。全米はもちろんカナダからも来ているものすごい数の参加者の中で見つけられたのはほんとすごいと思いました。

レース後、さとこにTiffanyのネックレス見せてもらいましたが、かなりかわいかったです!NikeのTシャツもいい感じでした。

ちなみに彼女、その日の本当の目的『Fire Fighterと写真を撮る』は、どんなに21キロ走って疲れてても忘れず、達成してました!
友達と2人で凍えながらの応援でしたが、行った甲斐がありました。


























No comments: